Commitment. Responders shall have a commitment to serve their community and the ESS mission to the best of their abilities, assuring the integrity of the program.
Confidentiality. Responders shall respect the confidentiality of information received during an emergency response to anyone other than authorized emergency responders. If necessary, clarification should be sought from appropriate authority. Confidential information must not be used for personal gains.
Quality of Service. Responders shall provide service to individuals affected by disasters in a manner that is courteous, caring, and professional, while respecting the dignity of people receiving services.
Behaviour. Responders shall:
- Conduct themselves in a manner that meets acceptable social standards and contribute to an environment of mutual respect and dignity, free from discrimination or harassment.
- Follow operational guidelines and established reporting structures.
- Exercise discretion with comments made in public about an incident, people, or other organizations involved.
Self Care. Responders shall:
- Take care of their own physical and emotional health and support team members to do the same.
- Report unsafe conditions to their supervisor, ensuring the safety of themselves and others.
Media Statements. Responders shall direct all enquiries from the media to the designated Information Officer.